Sunday, March 13, 2011

Volunteer Victory

Since February every Monday I have been going to a stable in the countryside of Galway to volunteer with the Riding for the Disabled Association of Ireland. Myself and 4 other NUIG students drive to the stable and help with equestrian therapy sessions for children. It has been one of the most fulfilling parts of my experience in Ireland so far. The women who run the session are amazing and have been teaching me the tricks of the trade when it comes to working with horses. And the kids are wonderful. They are so happy to be there and always up for a chat.

Speaking of volunteering, since I’ve been in Ireland I have been working on an application for a Marquette volunteering scholarship. I interviewed 2 weeks ago via Skype and received the news that I was accepted this past Tuesday! The scholarship requires that I do 8 to 10 hours of community service a week at a designated site in Milwaukee and meet with advisors of the Marquette Program who will help to guide me in my service experience. I decided to give up my RA gig because it would just be too much to do with the scholarship. So I’m currently on the hunt for a place to live but I’m happy about my decision.

Here is a photo of my 3 MU friends in Galway. We are on a peer that leads to a lighthouse. It was a beautiful day for a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment